IT Application Developer Sr. (Temporary Position)
Job Requisition Number
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to the job, plus three (3) years of related experience.
- Experience may substitute for education up to four (4) years.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
Notes to Applicants
*Please note this is a Temporary position.
The temporary IT Application Developer Sr. will support and maintain key custom development utilized by the department for data collection and reporting. Monitor application performance and conduct regular health-checks, and support ancillary business processes to maintain integrity of data and applications. This position will also troubleshoot and resolve any issues in existing custom development.
City of Austin Application:
A complete and detailed City of Austin employment application is required to help us better evaluate your qualifications. For each position, please describe your specific experience as it relates to the minimum and preferred qualifications. Please be thorough in completing the employment application and list all experience and education that is relevant to this position. Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience and education. Application must include job titles, job duties performed, full or part time status. Your work history should include the duties you performed, any supervisory or lead responsibilities, and any equipment or computer software used.
CBI:Must pass a Criminal Justice Information Systems (CJIS) fingerprint-based background check and maintain CJIS eligibility. Due to CJIS requirements related to system access, the following will result in being disqualified for this position: Felony Convictions, Felony Deferred Adjudication, Class A & B Misdemeanor Deferred Adjudication, Class B Misdemeanor Convictions, an Open Arrest for Any Criminal Offense (Felony or Misdemeanor), and Family Violence Convictions. Please Click here to find more information.
Secondary Employment:All Austin Police employees are prohibited from accepting or engaging in any secondary employment that might conflict or interfere with an employee’s duty and responsibility to the Department.
- APD must review all secondary employment.
- Employees are required to submit a Secondary Employment Application for review and approval upon being hired with APD, as well as current APD employees considering Secondary employment.
Working with the Austin Police Department provides a number of health and welfare benefits, such as medical, paid leave time, retirement plan, training opportunities and more. Please click here to find more information.
If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. The department reserves the right to close the posting after 7 calendar days.
$35.00 Hourly Rate
Monday – Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
(Hours may vary depending on business needs and some in-office work my be required.)
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
402 Deep Eddy Ave., Austin TX 78703
- Experience with .NET or comparable framework.
- Experience working with DBA’s to ensure data quality, accuracy, and precision.
- Experience developing, implementing, and supporting Information Systems business solutions.
- Experience supporting O365, PowerApps, PowerAutomate, etc.
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Design, develop, test, debug, modify and implement advanced custom software applications according to technical requirements and specifications for software solutions.
- Build, check, control, and create outputs and interfaces and integrate highly complex internal and external systems.
- Establish application development lifecycle and code development standards.
- Maintain and improve custom applications and interfaces.
- Document application training requirements.
- Write, maintain, and store documentation.
- Follow testing and validation policies, standards, processes, and procedures.
- Analyze business processes and requirements, use cases, wire frames, technical specifications and software/system functionality.
- Follow and/or assist with the development of custom test plans for software development, integration, upgrades, enhancements, fixes, and operations/maintenance.
- Design and recommend redesign of business function models.
- Serve as the point of contact for technical issues on projects, support and maintenance issues.
- Participate in architecture planning and strategy sessions.
- Ensure security and data protection requirements are followed.
Responsibilities – Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
- May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of principles, quality standards and processes.
- Knowledge of secure data and application techniques.
- Knowledge of current industry standards and best practices in software quality assurance.
- Knowledge of multiple user coding techniques.
- Knowledge of frameworks and information technology best practices.
- Knowledge of problem sensitivity.
- Skill in application of object oriented programming techniques, languages, software development and engineering frameworks.
- Skill in software debugging and troubleshooting techniques and tool-sets.
- Skill in software source code management, change management, and configuration management techniques and tool-sets.
- Skill in data protection.
- Skill in coding.
- Skill in selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new concepts.
- Ability to document code inline and write effective supporting documentation.
- Ability to test technical solutions.
- Ability to accurately identify/determine customer needs and take appropriate actions and/or steps to address identified needs.
- Ability to recognize, value, and include different perspectives, experiences, approaches, and cultures in achieving organizational goals.
- Ability to gain and maintain the trust and confidence of others and the organization through consistency and reliability.
- Ability to give, receive, or share thoughts, ideas, perspective, and data to create shared understanding.
- Ability to define, analyze, and find solutions for difficult or complex problems.
- Ability to view the big picture.
- Ability to quickly become familiar with emerging technologies.
- Ability to identify trends as well as isolated events.
Criminal Background Investigation
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
The minimum qualifications for the IT Application Developer Senior position are: Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to the job, plus three (3) years of related experience. Experience may substitute for education up to four (4) years. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
Please describe your experience and the number of years with .NET or comparable framework.
(Open Ended Question)
Please describe your experience and number of years working with DBA's to ensure data quality, accuracy and precision.
(Open Ended Question)
Please describe your experience and number of years developing, implementing, and supporting Information Systems business solutions.
(Open Ended Question)
Please describe your experience and number of years supporting O365 PowerApps and PowerAutomate or comparable solution.
(Open Ended Question)
Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
This position requires a CJIS fingerprint based background check. Are you willing to complete a CJIS background check and maintain CJIS eligibility?
Optional & Required Documents