Public Information Specialist Senior (Homeless Strategy Division)
Job Requisition Number
Austin Public Health
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism, Advertising or related field plus four (4) years of progressive experience in developing and implementing programs of public information, one (1) of which was in a team leader/coordinator capacity.
- Experience may substitute for the education up to the maximum of four (4) years.
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
This position is dedicated to the Homeless Strategy Division and is responsible for the dissemination of news and information to the general public, City employees, and the media regarding departmental and/or Citywide programs. Marketing, public relations, media relations, and publication of documents for internal and external education and communication are a few duties this position coordinates.
Due to high-risk areas, Austin Public Health employees must comply with the department’s immunization policy.
Regarding your application:
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Qualifying education experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities must be clearly stated on your application. Resumes are welcome, but we do not use any information provided on your resume to qualify and refer you to the hiring department.
- Work experience listed must include a month, year, and a verifiable Supervisor or Human Resources phone number.
- Each individual who submits an Application as provided in the Municipal Civil Service Rules and meets the Minimum Qualifications for a Competitive Position shall be considered a Candidate for that Position. Employees, in Good Standing, who are candidates within the Department or division that the Position resides in and who meet the Minimum and Preferred Qualifications (if any) of the Position will be included in the initial interview.
- Skill level in competency areas for this position will be assessed through skills testing.
- When public health responds to an emergency you may be assigned activities that are outside your regular job description. This may involve responding at any time, including nights and weekends with possible deployment to locations other than the Austin Public Health.
- This position is eligible for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSF) Program. This program is a federal program that is intended to encourage individuals to work in public service by forgiving the balance of their federal student loans. To qualify, the individual must have made 120 qualifying payments while employed by a qualifying employer.
If you are selected to interview:
- Military/Veterans must provide a copy of their DD214 at the time of initial interview to receive military/veteran interview preference
- This position will require a pre-employment Criminal Background Investigation (CBI).
- If you are identified as a top candidate, verification of your education, which may include High School graduation or GED, undergraduate, and/or graduate degrees, will be required.
Electronic Notification to Applications:
- Applicants will be notified via e-mail to communicate important information related to the status of their application as part of an ongoing effort to increase operational efficiency, promote a green environment and minimize delays and costs.
- Please ensure that the email address and contact information you provide are current, secure, and readily accessible to you. We will not be responsible in any way if you do not receive our e-mails or fail to check your inbox in a timely manner.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. Please note that the Department may close the job posting at any time after 7 days.
If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
$28.15 – $36.59
Monday – Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Austin Public Health
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
6800 Burleson Rd
- Experience writing press releases
- Experience responding to requests for the release of Public Information
- Experience working with news media
- Experience managing and creating content for social media
- Ability to travel to more than one work location
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Works on assignments that are complex in nature where considerable judgment and initiative are required in resolving problems and making recommendations. Primary responsibility for larger individual projects or act as an account representative for client departments and programs.
2. Develops long-range strategic plans.
3. Writes plans, organizes, directs, coordinates and edits articles for publication in a variety of forms, including electronic publication.
4. Coordinates all aspects of production of marketing materials.
5. Performs media relations duties to include: media buying, news releases, and fielding questions from media.
6. Coordinates public relations duties to include: public and school education, presentations, tours of public facilities, and requests for information from the general public.
7. Designs, researches, writes and edits newsletters and releases for internal or external use.
8. Produces public service announcements and videos for promotional use.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
May train and lead others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of public information, marketing, public relations, media relations programs.
- Knowledge of the functions and organization of municipal government, to include the relationships between departments, divisions and agencies.
- Knowledge of the principles associated with the role of meeting the necessary standards of customer service.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Skill in planning and organizing.
- Ability to interpret policies and guidelines.
- Ability to write articles for publication.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to lead and train others.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual’s AIDS, AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
This position requires Graduation from an accredited four (4) college or university with major coursework in Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism, Advertising or related field plus four (4) years of progressive experience in developing and implementing programs of public information, one (1) of which was in a team leader/coordinator capacity. Experience may substitute for the education up to the maximum of four (4) years. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
If identified as a top candidate, do you agree to a Criminal Background Investigation (CBI)?
Due to working in high risk areas, applicants applying for this position must comply with the departments
immunization policy as a condition of employment. Can you meet this requirement?
- Yes, I will comply to the vaccinations required by the APH department
- No, I cannot meet this requirement
Do you have the ability to travel to multiple work sites throughout the work day?
Please give an example of when you had to use empathy or compassion. How does having those characteristics help you professionally?
(Open Ended Question)
How would you apply your skills to communications for the Homelessness Strategy Division?
(Open Ended Question)
In the prior twelve months have you been employed by, owned any interest in, or been an officer or board member, for any business entity, including a non-profit organization, that is transacting any business with the City of Austin, including a recipient of any contracts, grants, or any funds of any kind from the City of Austin?
- Don't know
If you answered yes to the previous question, please explain below.
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter