Job Title: Scientist, Molecular Biology
Location: Austin, TX, 78744
Duration: 12 months
Job description :
- Will help with receiving of clinical samples and maintaining sample database.
- Will help with receiving of packages.
- Will apply technical knowledge to isolate DNA/RNA from FFPE. Activities include DNA/RNA extraction, NGS library preparation and sequencing.
- Will conduct experiments and/or evaluation of specific products under guidance
Will contribute as a team member to meet pre-defined goals.
- Maintain accurate and detailed lab notebooks and appropriate documentation based on the scientific method enabling other scientists to reproduce their experiments.
- Prepares regular reports documenting experiments.
- Ability to read and follow protocols accurately.
- Able to exercise independent judgment within generally defined procedures, laboratory methods and techniques.
- Able to recognize need for deviation from set procedures.
Desired Skills and attributes:
Strong laboratory and technical hands-on skills required:
- Pipet and perform procedures reproducibly
- Perform a dilution series to create a standard curve
- Perform lab calculations needed to make solutions from powder or from stock solutions and ability to make the buffers from recipes
- Operate most basic lab equipment such as computers, centrifuges, quantitation instruments, Agilent Bioanalyzer, PCR and qPCR instruments, plate reader.
- Routine experience with most common molecular procedures such as nucleic acid isolation, PCR, RT-PCR.
- Familiarity with next-generation technologies such as library prep, sequencing, digital PCR. Working experience, a plus
- Experience with nucleic acid purification automation
- Experience working with BSL2 sample types such as whole blood and plasma a plus
Strong theoretical understanding of procedures
- Basic knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet programs, PowerPoint, e-mail and searching the internet.
- Good writing & presentation skills
- Strong documentation skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Works well in a team setting
- Bachelors or master’s degree in Biological Science, chemistry, biochemistry, biomedical engineering, or related field.
- At least 3 years laboratory experience in either academic or industry setting. Industrial experience in product development environment a plus.