Responsible for reviewing, analyzing, approving and underwriting difficult, complex individual consumer requests and products within company and industry guidelines. Dependent on division, functions include reviewing financial statements, credit reports, and applicable ratios(i.e. Debt ratios, loan-to-value); examining transactions to ensure accuracy and completeness; preparing formal reports for review; ensuring that documents are consistent and uphold to company and industry guidelines; implementing fraud detection techniques, performing compliance reviews; assisting with re-negotiations of loans based on lending guidelines, serving as a consultant/technical resource on difficult problems and questions; handling escalated calls: providing work direction, feedback and training to underwriting staff including mentoring lower level underwriters on credit decisioning, department procedures and policies; delivering/facilitating of technical training to ensure organizational consistency. Has exception authority.
May act as a team lead and provide performance feedback to less senior underwriters.
May act as backup in absence of Supervisor.
Individuals in a SAFE position also must meet the Loan Originator requirements under Regulation Z (LO) outlined in the job expectations below.
- 5+ years of underwriting experience
- 1+ year of FHA/VA experience
- 3+ years of credit underwriting experience
- Basic Microsoft Office skills
- Strong analytical skills with high attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to interact with all levels of an organization
- Ability to work effectively in a virtual team environment
- Staff Appraisal Reviewer (SAR) License
- Lender Appraisal Possessing Program Certification (LAPP)
Other Desired Qualifications
- 3 out of last 5 years in mortgage credit underwriting
- 1 year + of Retail FHA/VA Underwriting experience
- This position requires SAFE registration at the time of employment. Wells Fargo will initiate the SAFE registration process immediately after your employment start date. The Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System (NMLS) web site (http://fedregistry.nationwidelicensingsystem.org ) provides the MU4R questions and registration required for employment in this position.
- Individuals in Loan Originator (LO) positions must meet the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau qualification requirements and comply with related Wells Fargo policies. The LO qualification requirements include meeting applicable financial responsibility, character, general financial fitness and criminal background standards. A current credit report will be used to assess your financial responsibility and credit fitness, however, a credit score is not included as part of the evaluation. Successful candidates must also meet ongoing regulatory requirements including additional screening, if necessary.
- This position requires registration with a third-party vendor which will include verification using your Social Security number (or other federally approved identification information reflecting one s ability to work in the United States), personal email address and personal telephone number. It may also require the need to upload a photo of your driver s license or passport if the previously provided information cannot be confirmed
- Ability to provide and work from a home office
- This position requires compliance with all mortgage regulatory requirements and Wells Fargo's compliance policies related to these requirements including acceptable background check investigation results. Successful candidates must also meet ongoing regulatory requirements including additional screening and required reporting of certain incidents.
The salary range displayed below is based on a Full-time 40 hour a week schedule.
FL-Orlando: Min: $63,900 Mid: $90,000
FL-Jacksonville: Min: $63,900 Mid: $90,000
FL-Tampa: Min: $63,900 Mid: $90,000
GA-Atlanta: Min: $63,900 Mid: $90,000
TX-Dallas: Min: $63,900 Mid: $90,000
TX-Austin: Min: $63,900 Mid: $90,000
TX-Houston: Min: $63,900 Mid: $90,000
TN-Nashville: Min: $63,900 Mid: $90,000
NY-Buffalo: Min: $63,900 Mid: $90,000
IN-Indianapolis: Min: $63,900 Mid: $90,000
AL-Birmingham: Min: $63,900 Mid: $90,000
NE-Omaha: Min: $63,900 Mid: $90,000
MO-Kansas City: Min: $63,900 Mid: $90,000
KS-Overland Park: Min: $63,900 Mid: $90,000
SC-Columbia: Min: $57,500 Mid: $81,000
OH-Columbus: Min: $63,900 Mid: $90,000
MS-Gulfport: Min: $57,500 Mid: $81,000
UT-Salt Lake City: Min: $63,900 Mid: $90,000
NV-Las Vegas: Min: $63,900 Mid: $90,000
AZ-Tucson: Min: $63,900 Mid: $90,000
CA-Fresno: Min: $63,900 Mid: $90,000
WA-Spokane: Min: $63,900 Mid: $90,000
ID-Boise: Min: $63,900 Mid: $90,000
NV-Reno: Min: $63,900 Mid: $90,000
MI-Birmingham: Min: $70,300 Mid: $99,000
All offers for employment with Wells Fargo are contingent upon the candidate having successfully completed a criminal background check. Wells Fargo will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state and Federal law, including Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
Relevant military experience is considered for veterans and transitioning service men and women.
Wells Fargo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.