Contract Management Specialist III
Job Requisition Number
Fleet Finance & Contracts
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to Business Administration, Public Administration, plus four years of experience in a related field.
- Experience may substitute for education up to the maximum of four (4) years.
- A Master’s Degree may substitute for required experience up to two (2) years
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
A detailed and complete job application is REQUIRED and helps us to better evaluate your qualifications. In completing your job application, please be sure to provide a COMPLETE employment history regarding any and all relevant work experience that you would like for us to consider. Please be thorough in completing the employment application and list all experience and education that is relevant to this position. For each position, please describe your specific experience as it relates to the minimum and preferred qualifications.
This information will also be used to determine salary in the event that you are selected for this position. You will not be given the opportunity to provide additional work experience once you complete and submit your job application. Furthermore, if selected as the top candidate, you will not be permitted to present additional work experience for salary calculation purposes.
If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
This position may require a skills assessment.
Please note that position location and schedule are subject to change based upon operational needs.
90 Day Provision for Additional Vacancy:
This posting may be used to fill other vacancies in other sections within the Division. Decisions on assigned section will be made at the time of hire based on business needs.
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. The department reserves the right to close the posting after 7 calendar days.
Cover letters and resumes are not being accepted for this posting.
When completing the Supplemental Questions, please note that your answers to the supplemental questions must be supported by information contained in your application..
$24.10 – $30.72
Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Hours may vary depending on work demands and customer support needs.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Fleet Mobility Services
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
6800 Burleson Rd., Austin, TX 78744
- Experience working for a government entity or a Fleet operation;
- Advanced experience developing and managing contracts in compliance with local, state and/or federal regulations.
- Experience leading or supervising three or more employees
- Strong skill and experience in oral and written communication.
- Experience researching and responding to inquiries from City Council, City Management, Boards and Commissions, vendors, and other stakeholders.
- Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, specifically with Word and Excel.
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Prepares for bids process by gathering and coordinating contract requirements from designated departmental liaisons, deciding appropriate commodities or scope of work to include on contract bid; recommending and preparing effective supplemental terms and conditions, and drafting purchase documents for bid. May also perform spot buying off existing contracts (per Central Purchasing policy limitations).
- Develops and maintains contract database(s) spreadsheets and/or other contract management software tools. Enters data into the system of record and generates approval documents to support purchases. Establishes budgeted base and resolves variances. Submits and/or coordinates submission of requisitions, evaluates bid files and prepares recommendations for award.
- Develops and manages requirements for complex contracts or grants for effectiveness by monitoring budgeted amounts to expended amount and/or contract’s dollar balance and time remaining, recommending whether to extend an existing contract or prepare for a new bid process, processing contract modifications and performing contract releasing activities.
- Manages contractor and subcontractor performance for compliance to contract terms and conditions by monitoring contractor performance which includes but not limited to inspecting product to ensure compliance with specifications, preparing and discussing contractor performance evaluations with the contractor and/or departmental liaison to explain performance evaluations and obtain feedback, and reporting and resolving complex contractual issues.
- Prepares and/or develops reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing information regarding contractor performance, supply chain effectiveness, contract expenditures, purchase history, etc., for reporting to management, team members and customers.
- Manages supply chain by reviewing status of selected materials, identifying problems and recommending and/or implementing solutions. Coordinating product demonstrations.
- Provides technical and contractual assistance by developing, advertising, coordinating and conducting workshops, training sessions and orientation sessions.
- Conducts site visits to educate contractors and subcontractors about contract requirements, to conduct interviews with contract workers, to obtain payroll records for audit purposes and/or to inspect products to ensure compliance with contract requirements.
- Develops requirements for new contracts by researching purchase history and product information; coordinating and compiling requirements; deciding and preparing effective supplemental terms and conditions; deciding and preparing effective contractor performance measurements.
- Researches and responds to inquiries from City Council, City Management, Boards and Commissions, vendors, and other stakeholders.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
- May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of contract law, contracting practices, regulations, policies and techniques.
- Knowledge of contract development, contract language, terms, conditions, etc.
- Knowledge of Federal, State and Local laws.
- Knowledge of city practice, policy and procedures.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software applications.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Skill in planning and organizing.
- Ability to evaluate contract agreements.
- Ability to write specific terms or conditions for contracts.
- Ability to enforce contractual obligations.
- Ability to evaluate contractor performance
- Ability to resolve complex problems.
- Ability to leading a work group.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual’s AIDS, AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
The minimum qualifications for the Contract Management Specialist III position are: Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to Business Administration, Public Administration, plus four years of experience in a related field.
Experience may substitute for education up to the maximum of four (4) years. A Master’s Degree may substitute for required experience up to two (2) years. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
How many years of experience do you have leading or supervising 3 or more employees?
- Less than 2 years
- 2 to less than 4 years
- 4 or more years
How many years of experience do you have monitoring contracts, purchasing goods and/or services and developing scopes of work for new solicitations?
- Less than 2 years
- 2 to less than 4 years
- 4 or more years
Which of the following best describes your proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, specifically with Word and Excel?
- I do not have experience with Microsoft Office
- Basic: create/edit simple documents, spreadsheet
- Intermediate: create/edit a variety of documents & spreadsheets; reformat document features such as color, font style and size of text,change page size/width, & filter/sort data fields
- Advanced: create/edit complex documents & spreadsheets; integrate features such as tables, charts, mathematic formulas, hyperlinks,graphics; data/mail merge, import data from one document to another
Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
If identified as a top candidate, do you agree to a Criminal Background Investigation (CBI)?
Optional & Required Documents