The Chatham Group, a dynamic talent acquisition firm focused on the science and technology-based industries, is seeking a driven and innovative scientist for an exciting career opportunity.
Our client is a growing privately held global chemical manufacturer recognized for innovation, technical expertise, and an unwavering commitment to safety and the environment. They are world leaders in key markets such as chemical formularies for manufacturing semiconductor chips and flat panel displays, templating agents for zeolite catalysts, carbohydrate modifiers, polymerization catalysts, and specialty chemicals for home and personal care products. The global presence and multimarket approach provides associates opportunities to collaborate and innovate internationally, while offering visibility, professional growth and opportunities to directly contribute to the company's success. The company truly believes that strength and competitive advantage lies within their people. Associates are supported in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance.
We are seeking a driven and innovative Research and Development Scientist to create and accelerate the development and delivery of new technologies, chemical products, and solutions for the Electronic Materials/Integrated Circuits market. The R&D scientist will collaborate broadly to identify market needs and new opportunities, solve customer problems, and create value through new product and process development. This role is critical to delivering company strategy and to the successful development and commercialization of products and services across global markets. It is an outstanding opportunity for the right person to leverage and further develop technical, business and leadership skills, advance his/her professional career, and to make an important impact in a science and technology-driven company. The successful candidate must share the philosophy that Health, Safety, and the Environment (HSE) protection is a prerequisite for everything we do, and that our business is satisfying the needs of all our stakeholders – our customers, communities, personnel, governments, shareholders, and suppliers.
We have an immediate need for a creative, hands-on scientist who can work independently with minimal supervision. The scientist will collaborate with our technology, production, and commercial teams to identify and develop new products, technologies, and processes for making or applying high purity chemicals used in the semiconductor industry for the fabrication of integrated circuits. This is a chemistry lab-oriented role, designing and carrying out experiments, analyzing data and results, and applying knowledge and insights to innovate and create value for the company and our customers.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Safe handling of chemicals and process equipment; adherence to good, safe laboratory practices
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Design and execute lab-scale and pilot-scale experiments for new product/process research and development
- Carry out purification studies, process optimization experiments, and material and product stability studies.
- Develop laboratory methods and procedures.
- Source raw material, equipment, and supplies (when needed). Coordinate purchase orders, quotes, and specifications needed to support research and development activities.
- Document and present test results, specifications, and final formulations.
- Support technology transfer from bench scale to pilot scale.
- Communicate effectively with customers, partners, and end-product users
- Interface with company Subject Matter Experts to solve technical problems.
- Scan external technology and business environments to identify and explore relevant new technologies that can be leveraged to drive innovation opportunities.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- A Bachelor’s degree / Master’s degree with 3-7 yrs. experience, or a Ph.D. degree with 0-2 yrs. experience in one of the following fields: Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science or Polymer Science
- Experience in chemical manufacturing or semiconductor industry are highly preferred but not required.
- Solid scientific/engineering knowledge, able to search literature and generate ideas and/or hypotheses
- Good at designing experiments and data analysis, able to draw sound conclusions from the data, and to summarize and present findings to internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to speak and write in a clear, informative, and effective manner.
- Well organized and good at documenting work
- Strong interpersonal skills, ethics, and integrity
- Customer focus, creativity, and problem-solving skills
- Time management skills; results-driven and goal-oriented work ethic, self-motivated, and a team player
- Learning and task agility; ability to prioritize responsibilities and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Computer skills (e.g., Microsoft office suite and specialty software applications as needed)
- The ability to plan, execute and manage complex projects in a dynamic team environment is essential
- Office, lab, and plant environments; must use/wear appropriate PPE
- Occasionally work on weekends
- Light domestic or occasional international travels (<15%)
Salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
Contact: Caroline Sangal, PhD
Chief Executive Recruiter – Polymers & Chemicals
50101 Governors Drive, Suite 260
Chapel Hill, NC 27517