Temporary - Content Strategist/Content Designer (Web)
Job Requisition Number
Development Services Dept
Please see the Duties, Functions and Responsibilities Section for Minimum Qualifications on this position.
Notes to Applicants
The Development Services Department (DSD) assists homeowners, business owners, and contractors when they build, demolish, remodel or perform any type of construction to ensure compliance with applicable city and building codes.
DSD is seeking a Web Content Strategist/Designer to assist us with the reorganization and optimization of our existing website (DevelopmentATX.com) to create an improved online customer experience. Please also submit a portfolio of your work with 3-5 examples of websites you have built with your application.
Working with the City of Austin provides a number of health and welfare benefits. Please click HERE for more information.
Employment Application: Only complete applications will be considered. Be sure your employment history on the application includes your past job titles, employment dates, and a detailed summary of your job duties, functions and responsibilities. Please take the time to ensure that the application is complete to represent your history and skills/abilities. Although there are posting dates listed, Development Services may close the posting any time after seven days from the initial advertisement. Once a position is closed, no additional applications or application changes will be accepted.
Post Interview Verification: If you are selected as the top candidate for a position, we will be contacting your current and former employer, as well as the references listed in your application. Please do your best to ensure that the contact information on the application is accurate. Top candidates will also be required to provide proof of education from an accredited organization, copies of any professional licenses or certificates listed on the application and a copy of your DD-214 if claiming veteran’s preference.
THE DEPARTMENT MAY CLOSE THIS JOB POSTING AT ANY TIME AFTER 7 DAYS.
$28.15 – $36.59
Monday – Friday, Flexible
Limited telework opportunities may exist
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
6310 Wilhelmina Delco Drive, Austin, TX 78752 - PDC
- Experience with Drupal web platform
- Experience building logic based web forms (Jotform, FormStack)
- Experience with Google Analytics and Search Engine Optimization
- Experience with HTML/CSS coding
- Experience working on large, content-heavy websites
- Experience writing/editing content
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Works on assignments that are complex in nature where judgment and initiative are required in resolving problems and making recommendations. Assumes primary responsibility for larger individual projects or acts as an account representative for client departments and programs.
- Serves on multi-disciplinary teams to concept, prototype, and implement content solutions for City services.
- Conducts requirement-gathering sessions to determine/design content production workflow and documentation based on the needs of stakeholders and department staff.
- Develops and implements short- and long-term strategies for content deliverables and performance monitoring.
- Collaborates with clients to assign, edit, and/or produce service-oriented content that is consistent and aligned with the organization’s voice and values.
- Collaborates with developers and designers to create, test, and deploy effective content models for web content, user guides, social media, newsletters, applications, printed resources, and in-person transactions.
- Develops consistent and sustainable content standards for products, services, and projects across the City that improve usability, equitable access, comprehension, and efficiency.
- Contributes to the development of editorial standards, style guides, taxonomies, metadata frameworks, and SEO strategies.
- Develops and leads training programs that guide and coach departments, team members, and stakeholders on content strategy and writing for the Web. Conducts research on software products and technology services to verify that they meet business and user requirements.
- Collaborates with developers, designers, and researchers to execute thoughtful and ethical user research related to content delivery. Participates, as needed, on Agile product development scrum teams.
Responsibilities – Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of concepts related to user experience design, including Web publishing and content management systems.
- Knowledge of current Web publishing standards to include best practices related to accessibility, usability, and writing for the Web.
- Knowledge of user experience research methodologies and best practices.
- Knowledge of current Web content management systems, social media, and other common tools used to deliver content.
- Knowledge of processes for importing/exporting data for use in reporting and documentation.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and Local laws and ordinances governing digital content, archiving, and privacy.
- Skill in developing and delivering effective training to a diverse audience.
- Skill in developing and documenting processes, procedures, standards, and guidelines.
- Skill in writing in simple, easy-to-understand language consistent with commonly adopted plain language writing standards as detailed in the Federal Plain Language Guidelines.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software applications.
- Skill in research design, data analysis, and problem solving.
- Ability to accurately identify/determine customer needs and recommend appropriate actions/steps to address them.
- Ability to recognize, value, and include different perspectives, experiences, approaches, and cultures in achieving organizational goals.
- Ability to give, receive, and share thoughts, ideas, and perspectives to create shared understanding.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective communication and working relationships with City employees and the public.
- Ability to take complex language and processes and make them simple to understand.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to train others.
Criminal Background Investigation
This position does not require a Criminal Background Investigation
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual’s AIDS, AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
This position requires graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in a field related to the job, plus four (4) years of related experience, including one (1) of which was in designing digital content or marketing communications; OR graduation with an Associate degree from an accredited college or university with major course work and/or certifications in a field related to the job, plus six (6) years of related experience, including one (1) of which was in designing digital content or marketing communications. Do you meet the minimum qualifications of the position?
Do you have experience with Drupal? What level (beginner, intermediate, advanced)?
(Open Ended Question)
Which best describes your level of proficiency in building logic-based web forms such as Jotform or FormStack?
Briefly describe your experience with search engine optimization.
(Open Ended Question)
How many years of experience do you have with HTML programming?
- Less than 1 year
- 1 to less than 2 years
- 2 to less than 3 years
- 3 to less than 4 years
- 4 or more years
Describe your past work experience developing, coding and maintaining dynamic websites. Provide insight into what languages and tool-sets you have used. Also, let us know the skills you possess that would make you an excellent candidate for this position. Provide links to sites that best represent your work.
(Open Ended Question)
Do you have experience developing and maintaining web content?
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- Other Document